What Makes a Good Greyhound Betting Site?
There is now a large number of bookmakers who offer greyhound markets on a regular basis, meaning that making a decision regarding which to register with can often prove difficult. As a result, the following factors are well worth considering before signing-up at a particular betting platform, with these points helping to both maximise winnings and minimise losses.
- Odds – Perhaps the most important factor to consider is the prices offered by the bookmaker on a consistent basis. This is likely to have far more of an impact than promotions do.
- Coverage – For those who are serious about greyhound racing, the number of meetings covered by bookmakers is also important. With races taking place on a daily basis in both the UK and across the globe, customers should focus on the betting platforms which offer good coverage.
- Promotions – While this should not form the sole basis of your decision, promotions can undoubtedly help you along the way, with many bookmakers offering greyhound specific offers such as best odds guaranteed and runner insurance.
- Live-Streaming – The ability to simultaneously watch and bet upon greyhound races as they take place is exciting, with more and more bookmakers offering this feature on their sites.
- Virtual – For the times when there are no greyhound meetings taking place, many bookmakers now provide virtual races in an attempt to attract customers.
- Customer Service – As with any organisation, it is important that you register with a bookmaker that takes customer support seriously, meaning that any issues or problems are dealt with quickly and efficiently.
Greyhound Racing Events
There are a number of major races which take place throughout the UK during the sports calendar, while other countries also host some standout meetings. Within the UK, races are categorised based on the prize money on offer, with three different types of event. Derbies are held multiple times throughout the year in the UK, offering total prize pots of around £50,000. Elsewhere, invitation and minor races are also staged at tracks across the country, with bookmakers likely to cover each one.
The number of markets offered when it comes to greyhound racing will ultimately differ from bookmaker to bookmaker, however the standout markets available are as follows:
- Straight Win – The most popular market surrounds simply backing which dog will come out on top in a race. As well as this, customers also have the opportunity to bet on which trap will win, without knowing that particular dog beforehand.
- Superfecta – Despite being one of the toughest markets to be successful in, superfecta wagering is becoming increasingly popular. Here, punters must select the top four in a particular race, as well as the correct order in which they will finish.
- Pick Three – Similar to superfecta, customers here must pick the winner of three races in a row, normally at the same track.
As mentioned briefly earlier on, live-streaming provides an additional element to greyhound betting, with an increasing number of bookmakers now offering such a feature. Available on almost all UK races, the ability to watch the action as it unfolds adds to the excitement of the wagering process, whilst also ensuring that customers can gain a better feel of races, perfect for those looking to gain a better understanding of the sport initially also. Streams are often available free of charge, with either a positive account balance or small stake required in order to gain access. Many bookmakers stream races in HD, meaning that you will not miss out on anything that takes place on the track.
Greyhound Promotions & Offers
A number of major bookmakers now offer appealing promotions surrounding greyhound racing, while others provide bonuses which greyhound betting customers are free to take advantage of. Either way, it can be worthwhile checking out such promotions before registering on a particular site, whilst also ensuring that they fit in with your betting strategy and wagering objectives. Whilst free bets and matched deposits are regular on offer as an incentive for new customers to sign-up on a particular platform, the following promotions are likely to be more significant in the long-run.
- Best Odds Guaranteed – The same as with horse racing, many British bookmakers now offer best odds guaranteed on all UK greyhound races, meaning that it does not matter when you place your bet, you will always receive the best possible prices on successful wagers. For instance, should you place an ante-post bet on a particular runner at odds of 3/1 and said dog eventually wins the race having risen to a price of 5/1, customers will receive their winnings at the better odds.
- Each-Way Places – With each-way betting having also become increasingly popular, due to the competitive nature of the sport, many bookmakers have no increased the number of places that they pay out on, especially when it comes to major meetings. As a result, you will receive some earnings, even if your pick does not win, should they finish in a pre-determined position, usually within the top four or five.
- Faller Insurance – There is nothing more frustrating than backing a dog and seeing it come unstuck half way through the race. As a result, many bookmakers offer insurance promotions surrounding this, meaning that you will receive your stake back if your dog falls during the race.
Greyhound Betting Strategy
As with any form of wagering, it is crucial that you come up with some form of strategy when it comes to betting on greyhound racing, no matter what your ultimate goals are. Unlike horse racing, where fields can often total over 40, greyhound races only feature six runners, meaning that you already have an advantage, due to the smaller number of variables that can occur. As a result, the following are some of the most successful strategies worth considering:
- Form – Although this is nothing new when it comes to sports betting, form is often something that punters fail to take into account when betting on their favourite runners. As a result, it has never been more important to carry out research pre-race, with information readily available from a number of different online sources in just a few clicks of a button. Here, you can find out a dogs previous races, favourite conditions, trainer details and competition, with all potentially having an impact on their finishing position.
- Trap Betting – A large number of successful greyhound betting punters will state that they simple bet on a particular trap when it comes to races, rather than the dog itself. As a result, those looking to take advantage of this strategy can check out the results of previous races in order to see which trap has been the most successful. Factors such as inside and outside bias, as well as weather and track surface are also likely to impact on which trap position comes out on top more often than not.
- Stick to Your Guns – With the sheer number of greyhound races now taking place on a weekly basis, as well as an increasing amount of virtual offerings, it can be easy to forget what your strategy is. However, it is always important to only stake when you feel that there is value in the market, as well as not placing bets in an attempt to recover your losses.
Best Greyhound Betting Sites Conclusion
After reading this guide, you should have a much better understanding of both what makes a good greyhound betting platform and some of the bookmakers that are worth researching further, before eventually making your decision regarding who to register with. Punters are of course free to take advantage of the offerings from more than one bookmaker, allowing customers to always utilise the best prices in the process, however it is important that you always look for value, rather than the more attractive potential earnings. As well as this, things such as promotions, live-streaming and range of markets will all have an impact upon your greyhound betting capabilities, with all needing to be considered beforehand.