The third major of the year is two weeks away and links golf is very much on the menu for the world’s elite with Carnoustie and the 2018 Open Championship looming large. The event at Ballyliffin Golf Club promises to be a real spectacle and has become an integral part of preparations for players in the build up to the open in recent years.
Irish Open Preview & Outright Betting
The British and Irish links swing is well underway meaning top players from all over the globe will descend on Ireland looking to find form on the European Tour.
Here’s a look at some of our favourites for the Irish Open:
- Rory McIlroy – 13/2 (Bet Victor) – A hero in his homeland, Rory McIlroy will once again play tournament host at the Irish Open which he has done since 2015. He will have home support backing him to the hilt in Ulster and he will be looking to clinch a trophy he last won in 2016.
- Jon Rahm – 7/1 (888 Sport) – The defending champion returns to the Irish Open fresh off the back of a top 5 at the French Open last week as his preparations for the Open Championship look to be falling into place. His enigmatic playing style endears him to the Irish fans and he could have another great week here.
- Rafa Cabrera Bello – 18/1 (Betfair) – The solid Spaniard will be looking to find some form before the Open Championship in what has been a relatively unremarkable year. He looks set to get a Ryder Cup spot with his 7th place on the money list and a win here would be very useful with a busy period ahead.
- Matthew Fitzpatrick – 22/1 (Bet Bright) – The young Englishman has had another solid year on the European Tour and currently sits at number 18 in the money list. He has not missed a cut since March and continues to be showing strong signs in his development week in, week out.
- Russell Knox – 25/1 (Coral) – The Scot who plies his trade mainly on the PGA Tour arrived back in Europe in good form with a second placed finish at the French Open last week – shooting 6 under on Sunday to get into contention. He has a game suited to links golf and could be a real contender this week.
- Shane Lowry – 28/1 (Betway) – Another man that will be able to call upon home support is Shane Lowry who has struggled for form in 2018 but famously won this event as an amateur back in 2009 and he does have a habit of pulling form out of the bag from nowhere.
- Chris Wood – 33/1 (Ladbrokes) – The consistent Englishman is having another decent year on the tour and displayed good form at the French Open last week, despite fading on the last day to finish tied for second. His accurate iron play and long ball striking could be useful here in Northern Ireland and he looks overpriced.
Our Top Irish Open Betting Tips & Prediction
- Top Pick – Jon Rahm – 7/1 (888 Sport)
- Outside Pick – Chris Wood – 33/1 (Ladbrokes)